Tuesday 15 February 2011

Recipe for disaster

In generations past, family recipes were handed down from mother to daughter with great care. These gastronic gems were treasured and, indeed, guarded as if diamonds themselves.

Nowdays, with the advent of microwave meals, a take away on every corner, and increasing busy lives, cooking is less central to our family routines. Indeed, some families rarely share the same room, let alone dining table when eating. I admit there have been times in my life when this has been my pattern - getting home very late from work having 'grabbed' something on the way or settling down to soft boiled eggs and soldiers around midnight.

But there is something essentially comforting about sitting round a table with your loved ones (or even not so loved depending on the day) and eating a meal together. Grief, I sound like that gravy advert! But it doesn't have to be cooked from scratch - I love Indian but don't have the room in my kitchen for a tandoor (or the inclination to burn my arms on a regular basis) so any chicken tikka is going to be courtesy of a local restaurant or supermarket. But I will happily make my own raitha to go along with it - and have been known to sling a paddadum into a frying pan

Hint of the day: rather than drown the pappadum it in a whole ocean of oil, pour a small amount into a shallow frying pan and use a bacon press - TFM sell them online for around £10 (plus shipping) - www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk, Amazon sometimes have them but seem to be out of stock at time of writing.

So as there are bundles of great recipes kicking around the family I thought I might share some, along with any memories that go with them. I have no idea where most of these came from; where I do I will give credit where it is due, but if I inadvertently fail to credit, or miscredit, do let me know and I will happily change accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment