Friday 25 February 2011

Honeyed Carrot Soup

I think everyone has a carrot soup recipe. Let's face it, if you buy prepacked carrots there are always too many in the bag and carrot soup is a good way to use 'em up. I have several, from a very thin, almost broth-like soup, to a s0-thick-your-spoon-stands-up version. This is somewhere in between and has a lovely sweetness combined with a tiny chilli kick to keep your tastebuds interested.

This one is perfect for winter days when the sun is refusing to shine, like today. In fact I have a pot of this cooking on my stove right now. Here in my corner of Surrey it's grey, overcast and threatening to rain so in an hour so this will be my dose of sunshine - best served with fresh, crusty bread - OK, I have no intention of making my own bread today; Waitrose is going to have to be my baker (they do a wonderful finish-baking-at-home loaf).

Honeyed Carrot Soup
(serves 6)

INGREDIENTS

3 large carrots - approx 900gms (roughly chopped)
2 tablespoons butter
2 onions (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons runny honey
Sprinkle of chilli flakes
Dried thyme 2 pints of chicken stock (can use vegetable if wanting vegetarian option)
Pinch of salt


METHOD

  1. Melt butter in large pan
  2. Chop garlic and butter and place into pan
  3. Cook over a low heat until onion/garlic mix is translucent
  4. Whilst this is cooking, peel and chop carrots (You don't have peel the carrots, skins are good for you, but for this soup I do)
  5. Place carrots into pan
  6. Add honey, stir well and cook for 5 mins
  7. Add salt, chilli flakes and thyme then stir
  8. Add stock and bring to boil (Confession: I have no hesitation on using stock cubes if no fresh is to hand, in fact even as I type, 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes are doing sterling work in the soup pot)
  9. Bring to boil, then simmer for 45 mins
  10. Pour into liquidiser and blend thoroughly
  11. Serve

My soup will be ready in around five mins, my mug is ready and a late lunch beckons. Any soup left over can be cooled and chilled and reheated in the microwave or on the hob with no loss of flavour. Bring on the sunshine!



No comments:

Post a Comment