Tuesday 28 June 2011

Crunchy Cheesy Chicken

Chicken breasts can be boring. There I've said it. I KNOW they are low fat and a good food when trying to control calories but purlease! It the sauces them make it tolerable in my book - sorry. So I am aways on the lookout for ways to tart up a chicken breast that are, preferably, not loaded with cream and butter - although there is nothing wrong with a nice cream, mushroom and brandy sauce (with maybe a little parmesan in there...).

Anyhow, here is a coating that gives the breast a tasty, crispy coat whilst keeping the meat moist - and best of all this is a baked recipe so no frying involved.

I have only used this on whole breasts but I certainly intend to use this on chicken pieces - maybe thigh meat - the best of both worlds for me!

Crunchy Cheesy Chicken
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
4 chicken breast (I normally aim for free range chicken as, darnit, it just tastes better.)
Flour
1 egg
1/4 cup of milk
1 finely chopped clove of garlic (or 2 if you're a garlic fan)
1 tspn ground chilli (fresh or dried is fine)
2 cups breadcrumbs (preferably either fresh or Japanese Panko breadcrumbs - not golden though)
1 cup finely grated cheddar
Salt
Pepper


METHOD
  1. Ensure chicken breast are clean of any skin etc and dry with kitchen towel
  2. Take three bowls.
  3. In bowl 1 place enough flour to dredge the breasts
  4. In bowl 2 beat the egg and milk together then add garlic, chilli and seasoning
  5. In bowl 3 mix cheese and breadcrumbs.
  6. Dredge chicken through flour, then egg mix and then coat thoroughly in breadcrumbs.
  7. Put on a lightly oiled baking sheet
  8. Place in middle of oven, preheated to gas mark 6
  9. Cook for 35 mins
  10. Serve with buttered noodles and green salad.

Very easy for a summer lunch. I imagine that the chicken pieces version would work well on a buffet - I shall wheel it out at the next opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment