Sunday 20 March 2011

Cornflake cakes

To borrow a phrase from a friend, 'When I was a nipper'... our local bakery used to sell chocolate cornflake cakes, one of my favourite weekend treats. They used to make them in triangular moulds which was considered very exotic by all and you could nibble off each cornflake - making it last for the longest time.

And of course, over years I have churned out many, many with varying levels of assistance from generations of borrowed children (of all ages). I also have a couple of variations on the theme and to be honest have developed a more grown up version with sultanas and flaked almonds (and a dash of booze).

I haven't made any for some years and and they have faded from my conciousness but I was recently in a one of a chain of coffee shops (who will remain nameless in case they want to sue once they've read this) and having seen cornflake cakes on the counter decided to have one with my afternoon cappuccino (yes, I KNOW you're only supposed to have the frothy one at breakfast but I like it and do not care. I have always been a rebel).

It was appalling. Disgusting. Revolting. It had obviously been made in a large batch, the cornflakes had been smashed up, there was waaaay to much sugar and the whole thing resembled concrete. I had to break into it with a knife - thus endangering anyone within range of the ensuing brown missiles. Peeved does not come close. A childhood memory trampled to dust by commercial imperatives.

Listen here Costa, (oops, that gave the game away) - some things are too important to be exploited.

Having seethed for a week or so at this insult to childhood innocence, (Overly dramatic? Moi?), I decided to get down to business and make a batch of my own. So here is my recipe for my slightly more grown up version.

TIP: DO NOT scrimp on cheap chocolate or cornflakes. It can only disappoint. This is one instance when only good stuff will do.

Cornflake Cakes
makes 12 little ones, 6 grown up ones.

INGREDIENTS
150g Green & Black's plain chocolate
25g butter
50g Kelloggs cornflakes
20g sultanas
20g flaked toasted almonds
2 tablespoons golden syrup
50ml double cream
shot of liquer - Tia Maria (coffee flavour) or Drambuie (orange)

METHOD
  1. Melt chocolate and butter (either in a bowl over simmering water, or in a microwave)
  2. Stir in golden syrup, cream and liquer
  3. When thoroughly blended stir in cornflakes, sultanas and almonds
  4. Make sure that everything is thoroughly coated
  5. Spoon into paper cases and pop into fridge to chill
You can also add small marshmallows or chopped cherrys if you wish but this is my favourite version. Ya boo sucks. Oh dear, I seem to have reverted to childhood...

No comments:

Post a Comment